Ottershaw Park is a private area of approximately 110 acres on the outskirts of Ottershaw village, which is a couple of minutes' drive or about 10 minutes' walk through Ottershaw Chase woods. Historically, the park grew around the Mansion House, which is now apartments and mews houses. There are various other houses in the Park as well as Tulk House itself (the old dormitories when Ottershaw Park was a school) at the east end. The whole Park is beautifully landscaped and looked after and is a uniquely tranquil corner of this accessible part of Surrey.
The village has a selection of shops, restaurants and pubs and is also well-served with schools, doctors, dentists etc. Driving takes only a couple of minutes or you can walk in about 10mins through the ancient Ottershaw Chase woods. There are regular buses to nearby towns such as Woking, Chertsey and Guildford as well as to Heathrow airport. Ottershaw is an active community with a Social Club and Village Hall, the latter used by various societies including the Ottershaw Players dramatic society. There are also fitness and yoga classes. Shops include: two general stores, one with Post Office; pharmacy; newsagent.
Nearby Towns and Villages
- Addlestone (3 miles): Main line station to Waterloo (1hr); wide range of shops including Tesco Superstore with petrol; schools; restaurants.
- Chobham (3.4 miles): Unspoilt Surrey village with rural shops and surprisingly wide choice of restaurants and pubs.
- West Byfleet (4.5 miles): Fast (32 min) trains to Waterloo every half hour with cheap parking for up to 6hrs. Charming town with range of shops including Waitrose, and a very popular fish 'n' chip restaurant Jane's Upstairs.
- Woking (5 miles): Frequent fast (28min) trains to Waterloo; major shopping and commercial centre; fitness centres; theatre and cinemas; art gallery.
- Weybridge (5 miles): Frequent fast (34min) trains to Waterloo; good shopping centre; excellent pubs and restaurants; walk-in health centre.
- Walton-on-Thames (7 miles): Frequent fast (30min) trains to Waterloo; good shopping; excellent pubs and restaurants; excellent Everyman cinema.
- Chertsey (3 miles): Regular stopping trains (1hr 17min) to Waterloo; fair shopping; fair pubs and restaurants; fitness centre.
- Guildford (12 miles): County town of Surrey with cathedral; frequent fast (40min) trains to Waterloo; excellent shopping; excellent pubs and restaurants; the renowned Yvonne Arnaud theatre.
Find out more at Visit Surrey.
Pubs and Restaurants
In the village itself you'll find the Miller & Carter steakhouse, Otter's Spicy Cottage and the Dragon Wok takeaway. There is also the recently refurbished Castle pub (including a restaurant conservatory) who's genial hosts John and Sue carry a good range of real ale and serve excellent gastropub food; in the winter there are log fires to add to the welcome.
On the Guildford Road, Sands at Bleak House offers an excellent dining experience, whilst nearby Chobham (8mins by car) has several quality restaurants, including Stovell's, The Green Olive, Il Rustico, the Sun Inn and the Four Horseshoes. See Nearby Towns and Villages above for more.
Local bus services are operated by Abellio. The nearest railway stations are at Addlestone and Chertsey, with more frequent and faster trains from Woking, Weybridge and Walton-on-Thames (see above).
The M25 London Orbital motorway is just 2 miles from Ottershaw Park, with the M3 and A3 one junction away. Ottershaw is adjacent to roads towards Woking, Guildford and Camberley.
Heathrow is only 10 miles away.
If you're renting a car we recommend Rhino Car Hire - just quote 'Tulk House' for a 10% discount.
Ottershaw village has several doctors and a dentist surgery. St Peter's Hospital (NHS) and the Runnymede Hospital (private) are on the same campus 2 miles along the road. St Peter's has an A&E and there is a Walk-In Health Centre in Weybridge.
Most of the nearby towns have fitness centres, and there are horse-riding centres very close to Ottershaw Park. There is a rather pleasant bowls club in the village itself.
The internationally renowned Foxhills Resort Club and Golf Centre is just 2 miles from the Park. As well as two 18-hole and one 9-hole courses, Foxhills has a sports centre, three swimming pools and in the Manor House a fine dining restaurant and hotel accommodation. The Manor is open to the public but most of the other facilities require membership.
Round and About
Surrey is rich in nature, culture and heritage so come rain or shine there is always something to do, somewhere to visit. There are endless walks and cycle rides both on the doorstep and a short drive away. There are National Trust sites, gardens and garden centres, ancient burial grounds, nature parks and many areas of outstanding natural beauty. Historic Runnymede, where the Magna Carta was signed and where the eternal flame burns at the the Kennedy Memorial, is 7 miles away.
The area around Ottershaw Park is the setting for H G Wells' classic War Of The Worlds and Ottershaw is the setting for one of the scenes! The aliens actually land on Horsell Common, which is three miles away, and there are sculptures in Woking town centre!
The architecturally stunning McLaren Technology Centre is a 20 min walk through woods and fields and includes a nature reserve with small lake in the grounds - part of the grant of planning permission. Their road cars can be frequently seen around Ottershaw. At nearby Brooklands (6 miles), home of the famous banked circuit where there is an excellent Motorsport and Aviation Museum, there is also Mercedes World where you can test your skills on the skid pan!